Please send a quick text page to the resident you’re taking over for at 8:00am on the first day of your coverage block.
** If someone calls for a med-peds resident and accidentally gets sent to you please have them page the med-peds
Here’s a brief summary of the guidelines for those of you who haven’t covered the pager before:
1. You will receive a text page with the patient’s name, date of birth, PCP, insurance, basic complaint, and callback number. If the callback number does not work, you can call PCG (773-702-6840) and get routed to the answering service.
2. Pages should be returned within 15 minutes. If you do not respond to the page and call the patient back, you will receive a second page. If the second page is not returned, the page will be directed to the attending on call (which we would like to avoid).
3. Document a brief summary in EPIC via phone encounter (open and close the encounter). The ambulatory chief receives a copy of the previous night’s call logs every day, so if you ever want to verify the name and DOB of a patient let me know and we can forward you a copy of the call log.
4. General guidelines for telephone call:
- You should have a lower threshold to refer patients to the ED because it can be difficult to assess severity of symptoms/stability over the phone
- If a patient needs an Urgent Care appointment, they can be made as follows:
- Patients can call the PCG schedule line @ 773-702-6840 after 8 am
- You can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org; e-mails to pcg.schedule are checked at least once every hour Mon-Fri. You can also route to PCGorders in Epic.
- If an appointment is urgently needed, you can page Deb White at 6015 from 8am-5pm on Mon-Fri
- NEVER prescribe narcotics over the phone (this includes Vicodin, T3 and Ultram)
- If prescribing medications, always ask about allergies and other meds (i.e. OCPs and coumadin when giving antibiotics)
- If you have questions regarding management of a patient, you can page the attending on call for help (Medchiefs website, click Ambulatory, go to Firm/ATG, click on Attending Call Schedule).