Global Health Track
Global Health Track Objectives:
- Support the development of culturally-competent physicians
- Raise awareness of healthcare disparities, both locally and internationally
- Expose residents to sustainable Global Health practices
- Increase involvement of residents in the local community
- Provide supportive and immersive experiences that expose residents to multiple facets of Global Health
Global Health Track Requirements:
- Completion of at least 10 community service hours per year through volunteering in the local community.
- Completion of a self-paced online module curriculum
- Participation in at least one underserved elective, either locally or internationally.
- The Program Director must approve that the resident is in good-standing to be eligible for an away rotation elective.
- International electives will need to be pre-approved based on experience, safety, and supervision.
- Completion of pre-departure planning
- Participation in a Morning Report based on an experience from the elective.
- In approved exceptions, participants may replace their morning report with a journal club related to an issue experiences on their trip.
Below are the following sites have an established relationship with UCMC, or a current/recent graduate of UCMC. If you are interested in any of the following sites, please let us know. With the proper evaluation and approval, you may also arrange an elective at a site that is not listed below.
How to apply:
While anyone interested in participating in the Global Health Track may participate, we require a formal application process in order to both solidify your commitment to the track, and to begin the necessary process of reflection prior to any Global Health experiences. To apply, please send a letter of intent to Dr. John McConville (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please include in your letter: your motivations to do Global Health, any prior experiences within Global Health, and any hopes or expectations that you have to accomplish either within the Global Health track or a future career within Global Health.