Step 3 Policy
- This is a two day exam. Scheduling the exam takes time, so start early!
- You should plan to take Step 3 during your PGY2 year.
- On average, score reporting takes 3-4 weeks, but can take longer (up to 8 weeks), so please plan ahead! You will need Step 3 scores in your PGY3 year to begin the application for your permanent medical license.
- Visit the USMLE Step 3 site for more information, available HERE
- Please schedule Step 3 during rotations with flexible schedules, such as elective-I, elective-O, inpatient consults, or vacation
- Step 3 should not be scheduled during ID consults or Liver consults
- You should not schedule Step 3 while on inpatient rotations or ambulatory rotations (including Urgent Care and Geriatrics)
- If you schedule Step 3 during elective-O or outpatient consults, it is your responsibility to select dates that do not conflict with your continuity clinic or ambulatory teaching
- Step 3 is not an acceptable reason to reschedule clinics and is not an acceptable reason to miss ambulatory lectures
- Please remember to submit other schedule requests (MROC, MIOC) if needed